Tuesday 24 November 2009

Avarekaalu Akki Rotti- Rice pancakes with Avarekaalu beans..and awards too

clip_image002[9]

Hi! I am posting a recipe again with Avarekalu. In my previous post with these beans I had posted a famous Upma/ Uppittu from Karnataka. In this post I am posting an Akki roti/ Rice roti. I have posted  another version of Akki Roti earlier also which you can check here. Along with S, I have also started enjoying these superb beans.
Normally on a Sunday if we are planning to go out I will indulge into a cooking a heavy breakfast or brunch so that the kids are satiated and do not bother us while we finish our chores. So this time we indulged ourselves into these extremely tasty Akki Rotis. These are to be finished fast after they are cooked as they turn very chewy otherwise, so in a hurry-burry I have managed to click these pics.
This akki roti has a flavor of the beans surely but also of the fresh coconut. It also has additional flavors of curry leaves, cilantro and is spiced with green chilies. To provide additional crispiness I added Semolina/ rava to it.
These taste best when served with butter/ghee.
Ingredients
Serves –4
2-1/2 cups rice flour(akki)
1/2 cup Semolina/ rava
1 to 1-1/2 cup  avarekalu
1 cup freshly grated coconut
8-10 green chilies chopped
2 strings curry leaves chopped
3-4 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
hot water for kneading
Method
Pressure cook the avarekalu and coconut with salt to taste else cook in water till done.
Mix the rice flour, semolina, boiled avarekalu, coconut and add all the remaining ingredients together.P1010541 P1010542 P1010545
P1010543
After mixing the ingredients form a well in the centre and put the hot water in it.
P1010546
With the help of a spoon start mixing, once the temperature of the mix is tolerable to the fingers start mixing using hands. Keep adding water till every thing gets mixed properly to form a very soft dough which can spread easily.
P1010547Grease a non stick pan properly with oil. Take an orange sized ball of the dough  and put it on the pan. With the help of the fingers press it and then flatten it evenly to form a round shaped roti.The thickness of the roti should be around 5-6mm. If required dip fingers in water while flattening the roti. Make hole in the centre and put a little oil. This prevents sticking of the roti in the centre.
P1010548
Now heat the pan first on high flame and once the pan is hot simmer the flame. Spread some oil on the top of the roti and then cover the roti with the lid. Once the base/ bottom part is done flip and cook the other side.
P1010549
P1010550
Once cooked on both the side serve it with some clarified butter/butter.
clip_image002[11]

Tip- If one likes sour taste can add 3-4 tbsp curds while making the dough.
I am sending this to MLLA-17 hosted by Sra at when my soup came alive and is the brainchild of Susan of The well seasoned cook
to EFM - Variety rice series  conducted by SriLekha

Priya of Priya’s recipes has passed me this and Anncoo has passed me this Thanks a lot both of you, I am truly humbled.
If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.

49 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Wow Pari, akki rotis are always my favourite, adding avarekalu seems very prefect and rotti looks incredible yaar..

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Yummy and crispy

priya said...

looks so tempting and delicious, dear!!...love the way u present it.....congrats on ur awards, dear!

gtyuk said...

congratulations for the award !!!

the pancakes sound nutritious and filling;

Kanchan said...

Bean Dosa ! As usual I always find a new recipe here ! I've no clue when will I try all these .. looks beautiful :)

Sanjana said...

Gorgeous recipe! One that I will definetly have to try!

Ms.Chitchat said...

A very novel roti recipe, to be appreciated. It sounds very healthy too. Thanx for sharing.

Chitchat
http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

Tina said...

Its a new recipe to me....Delicious and crispy...

SE said...

hey pari...adding avre is new to me...you know what..we call this as thalipeeth and even prepare it with jowar flour...sure a little different one than in maharashtra

Sushma Mallya said...

My mom used to do the same thing, its been so long since i had this, Nice recipe pari, will surely try when i get it next time...

Sarah Naveen said...

I love Akki roti..But my version is a bit different..
Ur version sounds gr8 and looks fabulously yummy!!!

Preeti Kashyap said...

Wow! Love the recipe! I shd try my hand at this soon. Nice click!

Sailaja Damodaran said...

wow!!!!!!! a lot of awards.....Congrats.I love the crispy rotti

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

My my these looks so yummy yum yum..have bookmarked it Pari :)

Gita Jaishankar said...

Very healthy and tasty dish....love the awesome clicks :)

chow and chatter said...

thanks for visiting my blog, wow love stuffed roti you have some yummy recipes on here Rebecca

Namitha said...

Healthy and delicious...never tried ada with beans :-)

Parita said...

Wow looks nourishing and yummy!

Anupama said...

The rotis look super delicious... and adding avarekalu makes them healthier :-)

Anonymous said...

Pari, thats such a unique recipe.the avrekalu akki roti looks like it will surely make up for a sumptuous bfast..and I love ur step by step pics..ur so patient.

Palidor said...

With all those yummy ingredients, those pancakes must be delicious! Congrats on your awards. You deserve them!

Anu said...

Looks so tempting and delicious dear..Healthy dish..

Unknown said...

Congrats and wishing u many more to come..
Nice recipe..looks crispy and yummy..would love to try it..:)
I saw ur naan recipe...Sounds great and more healthy 2..Next time will try ur version and let u know.:)
Have a great day.

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

nice and new recipe.stepwise pic will surely help for all.Thanks for sharing

Padma said...

Love this Pari... they look delicious. Reminds me of my mom. She adds this in many dishes during this season like upma, palav, curry.

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear pari
Thanks for sharing this nice dish. Will give a try for sure
have a good day

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

that looks really yummy.. its my fav :)

Pari Vasisht said...

hi folks, thanks a lot for those beautiful comments. u guys make my day. do try this and i promise you will not regret.
@sra, thanks dear for pointing out, i changed my template recently, will correct the font color.
@kanchan, the template provides this kind of header size, tried playing with the html, but could not succeed, u have better info on that, do let me know.

chakhlere said...

OMG!! That is one of the most creative and healthy pancakes!! Loved it soooo much!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Blogger,

We are a group of students from cochin who are currently building a web portal on kerala. in which we wish to include a blog roll I found your Blogs interesting so inviting you to join our new venture you could find our site here: http://enchantingkerala.org

the site is currently being constructed and will be finished by 20 of Dec 2009

we wish to include your blog located here

http://cooking-goodfood.blogspot.com/

we'll also have a feed fetcher which updates the recently updated blogs from among the listed blogs thus generating traffic to your recently posted entries.

If you are interested in listing your site in our blog roll; kindly include a link to our site in your blog in the prescribed format and send us a reply to enchantingkerala.org@gmail.com and we'll add your blog immediately. Ypu can add to our blog if you have more blog pls sent us the link of other blog we will add here

pls use the following format to link to us

KeralaTravel

Write Back To me Over here keralaenchanting@gmail.com

hoping to hear from you soon.

warm regards

EnchantingKerala

jayasree said...

Looks soo yummy and delicious...Browned nicely.

Enjoy the awards.

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love avarekaalu akki rotti .. looks yumm

Sum Raj said...

looks soo good..

Nandinis food said...

When I lived in the US, I loved the taste of this roti! Adding avarekalu is tasty and perfect!

Recipeswap said...

Congrats on all your awards.Roti looks perfect!

Latha said...

Congrats on ur awards.....I love akki roti, haven't tried with avarekalu.

Thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely comments...You have a good collection of recipes...following you.

Shivali said...

Wow..This seems to be so good.Loved the click.

Yasmeen said...

Nice and crisp,love the ingredients used :D

Cham said...

One of the clasic Kannadigas tiffin! My husb fav avarekalu akki roti! U ve made it beautifully!

Unknown said...

Looks so delicious, love it.

Vidya Rao said...

Yum..delicious and healthy roti.Thanks a lot for stopping by our space..will keep watchin you!

Shwetha said...

I've been craving these for some time now. Great post and now more reason for me to go make a batch.

Gauri Gharpure said...

Hi Pari..

Thanks for visiting my blog.. i am a self-professed foodie who loves to ogle at delicious food blogs like yours..

it's nice to see that you are adapting to cuisine from your husband's land.. :) this looks good..

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow...that's a new variety of akki roti to me...thanks for the pictorial.... love the new look of the blog...looks spacey and good....

my kitchen said...

Perfect one,makes me hungry

Katy ~ said...

I would like to try this sometime; it sounds so delicious. I am enjoying your blog every time I visit. Congratulations on your award!

s said...

thanks for a great recipe!!!

Malar Gandhi said...

Akki and Avarakalu roti sounds entirely new and different to me...loved those pictures looks too good, must have tasted great. Cute pictures:)

sra said...

I saw this recently in another blog, fascinating! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails