Friday 17 September 2010

Stuffed Masala Braided Bread ..a detailed explanation

 

P1040241

Hi Friends!!!!

I am very, very, very happy today posting this bread. For those who are regular readers will surely understand my happiness….for those who are new to my space and me, I must tell you that I had a huge fear working with the yeast and I was trying hard to come over it by trying simple things which I have posted earlier and now I can say I have finally won over it.

This was my first attempt at braiding the bread and my feelings were a mixed bag…I was quite nervous and at the same time excited too. Nervous as I was going to handle the yeast again and excited that I was trying a braided bread.

I have seen many braided breads in the blogging world and I personally love to eat them. Once in a while I do get the stuffed braided bread from the bakery Grand Plaza here, as my kids love it. Every time I would buy it, I would tell myself that I have to try this one day. Finally the day came and I made an attempt to bake this.

My first step surely was to proof the yeast as I rarely use it, so wanted to confirm that it was active. So I set aside all the ingredients on the platform to bring them at room temperature and proofed the yeast…and it failed. I was disappointed and was wondering what to do when I suddenly remembered I had another pack of yeast which I had not opened, so used that and started to proof the yeast again but this time I did it extremely cautiously taking all due precautions, so used my cooking thermometer and confirmed that the temperature of water  was around 100-115F and then I added the sugar and the yeast. In five minutes I could see the yeast frothing up and I grinned….my first baby step towards the bread was successful finally.

After this hurdle things went quite smoothly and in a few hours time I had a beautifully braided, moist and soft stuffed bread. I chuckled looking at the final product and surely had a big grin on my face and I sent S a message…finally I did it….Guess! S kept guessing and I asked him to guess more. As I type this post I have sent him a clue ‘yeast’ and still waiting for his reply. I am sure he will be equally excited to see this bread.

Ingredients for Bread

1.5-2 cups sifted APF

1 egg

1/8 cup butter

3/4 tsp salt

3/4 tbsp dry active yeast

1 tsp sugar

1/4 cup luke warm water

also an egg white for egg wash

For the stuffing

1 onion finely chopped

1/4 cup corn

1/4 cup capsicum

1 potato boiled

few tbsp grated mozzarella cheese

1 tbsp mixed herbs

1 tbsp red chili flakes

1 garlic pod (Chinese)  finely chopped

2 tsp oil

salt to taste

a dash of lime juice

Method Of The Stuffing

Heat oil and add the garlic.

P1040206 P1040207

Now add the onions and saute. Add the corn and cook for 2 –3 mins.

P1040210 P1040211

Add the spices, salt to taste, also add the potatoes and capsicum.  Mix thoroughly. Cool it ,the stuffing is ready to use.

P1040212 P1040214 P1040215

Method for Bread Dough

First proof the yeast. Microwave the water for 30 seconds and add sugar and yeast to it. Let it stand for 5-10 mins till it froths.

P1040198

Put the bread dough ingredients into the food processor and knead the dough. I used about 1.25 cups of flour initially. This process can be done using hands too.

P1040199 P1040201

Remove the dough from the processor and flour the platform and knead the dough again for about 6-7 mins. My dough was quite sticky so I added about 1/4 cup more of APF gradually till the dough was still sticky but not sticking to hand and floor. The pics will help you understand clearly. Do not add excess of flour else the dough will not rise properly.

P1040202 S

Grease a bowl and the dough with little oil put the dough in the bowl and cover it with a cling film. Let it rise for an hour or more till it doubles in volume. I preheated my oven at 40C and kept the dough in it to rise, so in approx one hour the dough had doubled.

P1040205 P1040216

To check that the dough has risen completely, press the dough, if it does not rebound back, it’s done. Have a look, one can see the depression in the dough where I pressed it, indicating that the dough was ready to use.

P1040217

Method Of Making Stuffed Braided Bread

Remove the dough to a floured surface and punch it down to release the air trapped and make a ball and flatten it. Roll it into a rectangular shape of about 9”long and 6” broad and thickness 0.5mm. Mine did not become a perfect rectangle.

P1040218 P1040219 

Leaving a few centimeters from each side, place the stuffing in the centre. Now spread the cheese over it. 

P1040221P1040220

Leaving an inch from one side, make slanting cuts on either side at equal distance.P1040222

One can see the triangular piece of dough on the right side, cover it from the top and cross the sides like a braid.

P1040223

Continue braiding the cut sides. And finally at the last tuck the edges under the bread. The braiding can be done directly on the baking sheet too.

P1040225 P1040226

Lift gently and place it on a baking sheet and let it rise again. The second rising is faster than the first one and takes about half an hour. Meanwhile cover the bread with a wet cloth to avoid drying.

P1040227

Apply egg wash or a milk wash and bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 15-20 mins till the outer crust develops a golden brown color. Do not let the color deepen a lot as the crust turns hard otherwise. P1040229

Remove it on a cooling tray.

P1040233

Cut into slices and serve. Else grill with some butter and then serve.

P1040244Linking it back to Vegetarian Foodie Fridays #18

sending this to Neha’s Kids Menu Event as this bread is a complete meal in itself. It has veggies providing minerals and vitamins, cheese giving proteins and fats and the bread itself is a rich source of carbohydrates.

also reposting Bohri Paneer and Stuffed Onion Kulcha for  Combo Meal Hosted by Chaitrali

[P10400023.jpg]

this bread is yeast spotted.

If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.

61 comments:

Panchpakwan said...

Wow bread looks delicious..
It has comeout so perfect..Nice step by step pics dear..

Pari Vasisht said...

Thanks for that quick comment dear Jyoti. I am glad that u liked it.

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear pari
Very nice!! You can make chefs run for their bread
Got a good idea , how these breads are made...cant make it for sure
have a nice weekend
ushnishda

Suji said...

Love the detailed pictures and amazing bread pari...

Vidhya said...

wow Lovely presentation Pari. Drool worthy bread. I am bookmarking this recipe..

Nandinis food said...

It's a very wonderful bread! Loved the art of the braids too!

Nandini's Food Page

Unknown said...

THat looks soo good!!...Me too am scared to make such elaborate breads...u made it look so easy!!!...I will try it soon
Smitha

Pari Vasisht said...

Da, thanks for the encouraging comment, I am grinning :-)
Thanks Kairali sisters, Vidhya and UN.
Smitha, I will dare to indulge in more elaborate breads after this win surely.

Satya said...

bread looks super soft n tempting ...u won't believe yesterday only i baked this bread :) ,love ue stuffing ..yummy

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Santosh Bangar said...

amazing.beautifully designed and tasty bread

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Turned out so good Pari.keep it up.Love the step by step picture.....

Rekha shoban said...

amazing job pari!!!.....it come out well and perfect!!

Krishnaveni said...

beautifully prepared bread, great

Torviewtoronto said...

beautiful bread
lovely steps

aipi said...

Ooo, that sounds so delicious! And it turned out so lovely too, I really like the 'braid'.

US Masala

ann low said...

WOW! That's surely a nice bread. Good Job!

Pavani said...

Oh!it looks soft,delicious and healthy too..

Aps Kitchen said...

wow it luks so so perfect Happy happy seeing it :)

Unknown said...

wow, looks gorgeous and beautiful !!! thanks for step by step pictures.

swapna said...

Love the step by step pic...bread look soo good!!!

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

That's an awesome first attempt. Looks so good. I'm totally into making yeast breads and love your step wise pictures.Love this one a lot !!!

Finla said...

Wowo that look absloutley delish and i love that it is filled, oh how i wish i had a huge piece right now.

Pari Vasisht said...

Thanks so much friends, S tasted the bread and said that this is better than the best of the bakeries he has eaten. Perfectly textured and tastes awesome. He says I deserve a treat.

Aparna S Mallya said...

Pari, that looks so professional! If you hadn't put the step by step pics, someone wud think it's actually frm a bakery!
I had bookmarked a braided bread too, long back. Never got around to doing it.

Sadhana Valentina said...

Lovely presentation dear

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Perfect and beautiful, looks really yum..

Melodie said...

Congratulations on the bread turning out so nicely! It is so beautiful! And thank you for linking at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays.
:)

Ragini Miranda's Kitchen said...

Fabulous Pari !!!just amazing ..super pics too !!

Suja Manoj said...

Lovely bread..really loved that braid and detailed pictures..great post

FewMinute Wonders said...

Good Job in over coming the fear of yeast. The bread looks very good. I love the steps you have posted. Inspires me to bake one soon.I am happy for you today.

Shyla said...

This looks to die for! I've never attempted making bread but I'd love to try this.

Pushpa said...

Beautiful step by step presentation....Bread looks soft and tempting...

Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com

NIDHYA said...

Braided bread looks super, super good. Love the pics. Great work.

http://aaha-oho.blogspot.com/

sonu said...

wow ! wow ! beautifully braided bread,so perfectly and neatly done pari..it is better then a store bought bread for sure,im sure u deserve a treat ..just wondering if i cud replace egg :(

Khaugiri said...

Wow it is just toooooooooooooo perfect Pari :)

Akanksha said...

has come out so perfectly...awesome recipe..thanks for sending this to my event

chaitrali pathak said...

Looks fabulous.....i have never tried this ...wil surely try out this recipe...yummy yummmmmmmmmm..

My Kitchen Antics said...

i still am vary of working with yeast so i but the mix n make it :)
this looks lovely

Unknown said...

Hi Pari,

grat step by step presentation dear...amazing bread..love it...

Dr.Sameena@

www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Great post. Love the braided bread. Looking fabulous!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

Dear Pari,

Hats off to your baking talent dear...k pics rock dear...Awesome presentation...

Tasty Appetite

SS blogs here said...

That bread looks amazing!! Now I feel like baking some too!

Myvegfare said...

Hi pari, you have done a really good job, it looks so lovely, good job well done, will give this a try.

Hayley said...

Superb step by step pics...love to try soon!

Srivalli said...

Looks fabulous..that has come out really well..but I will want make it without egg..

Sushma Mallya said...

Wow that looks so good, you have made it really beautifully...

Unknown said...

They look lovely....am bit too messy with bread but gotta give a try!

Aparna said...

Looks splendid!!!..i really appreciate ur patience dear

Yours Truly said...

oh myy!! thanks so much for the super detailed recipe and photographs. bread making has never looked easier! although i cheat and use a bread maker =D i might just try it by hand this time

Fathima said...

Perfect braided bread with perfect step by step explanation!

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

great work with the bread and the detailed pic by pic explanation. lovely.

Katy ~ said...

Oh my dear you have ever reason to be so very happy and pleased. This bread is GORGEOUS!!! Very well done indeed and looks so good!!

AJ said...

Good looking loaf there!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

First time on your blogsite and I loved the detailed pictures of the braided bread....loved the stuffing...but ofr all the effort you took, you hardly got any bread ...I would want a whole basket to eat!!!

Shobha

Gouri Guha said...

This looks absolutely great. Looking at it Pari you make me think, "Should I give it a try"?

Nitha said...

lovely and delicious...

Cham said...

Nothing beats with homemade bread, u ve done a great job!

Kiran said...

Love the delicious braided bread and the step by step presentation.

Unknown said...

Amazing bread pari..Lovely presentation with yummy picture!

Melodie said...

You are so talented. This looks amazing.

Kavita Srivastava said...

Woww ... This is so tempting. You have given the recipe in such detail. I have a fear of baking but this post is motivating me a lot ...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails