Monday 19 October 2009

Stuffed Oats-Wheat Pancake and a few awards..

 
clip_image002[4]

Hi!
As a health conscious mother I have to constantly concoct preparations which are healthy, nutritive and at the same time tasty too. My kids are not fond of oats and I always  had a difficult  time making them eat it.

We all know both Wheat and Oats are extremely Nutritive. We being largely the wheat eaters, it’s benefits we enjoy.  The challenge is always  adding and introducing  other grains. By making these extremely tasty and nutritive pancakes I passed one such challenge of adding Oats into our meals.

The pancakes made out of oats and wheat can be very bland if not spiced and flavored properly. I have added chilies, coriander, garlic and curds to my pancake to add in the flavor. These pancakes have to be handled very delicately as they can break off easily. To make them crisp, they need to be cooked on low flame on either side, that’s where semolina helps.

The stuffing of Cottage Cheese and capsicum provides the protein content, vitamins and minerals.

Health facts about Oats (Source eatmoreoats.com)
Oatmeal and oat bran are significant sources of dietary fiber. This fiber contains a mixture of about half soluble and half insoluble fibers. One component of the soluble fibre found in oats is beta-glucans, a soluble fiber which has proven effective in lowering blood cholesterol. Here's how it works. Soluble fiber breaks down as it passes through the digestive tract, forming a gel that traps some substances related to cholesterol, such as cholesterol-rich bile acids. This entrapment reduces the absorption of cholesterol into the bloodstream. The bad cholesterol, LDL, is trapped without lowering good cholesterol (HDL). Oats and grains are also one of the best sources of compounds called tocotrienols. These are antioxidants which together with tocopherols form vitamin E. The tocotrienols inhibit cholesterol synthesis and have been found to lower blood cholesterol. The accumulation of cholesterol is implicated in many types of cardiovascular disease. Oats, like all cholesterol-lowering agents, are most effective when consumed as part of a low-fat, high-fiber diet taken together with plenty of exercise.
The Recipe…

Ingredients for Pancake
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rolled oats  powdered
4-5 tbsp semolina
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
4-5 green chilies crushed
3-4 garlic pods crushed
3 tbsp curds
salt to taste
water to adjust consistency
1 onion finely chopped
2-3 tbsp cilantro chopped
For the Stuffing

100gms Cottage Cheese grated
1 large capsicum chopped finely
salt to taste
cumin pwd as per taste ( I added about 11/2 tsp)

Method

P1010258
  
Mix all the ingredients of the pan cake and add enough water to make a batter of pouring consistency.


P1010262
  

Heat a Non stick pan and smear it with few drops of oil, spread the batter like you make Uttappam. Simmer the flame. Once the air escapes and the holes  are formed pour in a little oil around the edges and a few in the centre. When the lower side turns crisp flip the pancake and cook on the other side.

P1010259
P1010260
P1010261

Turn the pancake again and fill in the stuffing. Fold the pancake and serve.

P1010263

P1010275

My friends Sushma Mallya, Padma, Raje and Babli  have passed on  a few  awards. I am a bit late to acknowledge here, sorry girls for that.Those of you who have not visited their blogs do visit, they are highly talented bloggers.


Babli and Raje  have passed a giant bear hug.

Babli has also passed


Raje has also passed  

Thanks a lot both of you.
Sushma and Padma have passed .

This  Over the top award comes with a meme
1. Where is your cell phone: On my bed next to me
2. Your hair: dark Brown
3. Your mother: My best friend
4. Your father: My pride
5. Your favorite food: Indian and Thai
6. Your dream last night: I do not remember
7. Your favorite drink: Vergin Pina Colada
8. Your dream/goal: To write my cook book
9. What room are you in: Bed room
10. Your hobby: keeps changing
11. Your fear: Heights
12. Where do you want to be in 6 years: Where my destiny takes me
13. Where were you last night: Home
14. Something you aren’t:  Liar
15. Muffins: Not very fond of
16. Wish list item: holiday to Goa once again
17. Where did you grow up: in India
18. Last thing you did: Was making my son read Hindi literature
19. What are you wearing: Bandhani Salvar Kurta
20. Your TV:  Switched Off


21. Your pets: No

22. Your friends: Very choosy about them
23. Your life: Great
24. Your mood: Happy
25. Missing someone: My parents
26. Vehicle: Hyundai Verna and Santro
27. Something you’re not wearing: My Bindi
28. Your favorite store: Alpha, More Supermarket (Aditya Birla Retail)
29. Your favorite color: None in particular
30. When was the last time you laughed: in the morning
31. Last time you cried: well nobody would like to remember that
32. Your best friend: My husband S
33. One place that I go over and over: Kitchen
34. One person who emails me regularly: My friend Anubha
35. Favorite place to eat: Davangere benne dose in Bangalore

I am passing  the “Over the Top” award and the Meme to Prasu, Radha, Sadhana and Muskaan, Sangeeta Subhash, Sireesha , Preeti and Somoo. Girls  enjoy and pass on.
I am sending this as my entry to EFM -Oats series hosted by SrishKitchen

    

CFK-Wheat hosted by Sireesha at Kidz DelightOn Going Event Cooking For Kids - Wheatand

WYF : Light Meal  hosted by EC at Simple Indian Food
If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.

39 comments:

Palidor said...

Yum! I bet your kids couldn't resist those delicious pancakes. Congrats on your awards! I'm scared of heights too.

Shri said...

Wonderful pancakes!Great knowing about you,Pari!I am quite picky abt friends too:D

Tina said...

Nice clicks and recipe. Congrats on ur awards...

Unknown said...

Congrats & enjoyed ur meme,Pancake looks delicious & healthy one 2.
Thank u dear for remembering & passing the award to me.so sweet of u.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

A very healthy recipe..

Preeti Kashyap said...

Nice spicy pancake and as u said nutritional too!

Padma said...

Wonderful pancakes Pari and nice idea of stuffing them too.. kids will surely love them and congrats on all your awards... was nice to know u more :)

Sailaja Damodaran said...

nice event recipe

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Pari
This is a great pan cake,the combination of oat and a high protein stuffing sounds great. although I am not into pancakes, except a wheat pancake with green chili, ginger and a seasoning of "Panch PhoDon, red dry chili pieces given just before the batter is poured. ( when I am lazy to make chapatis".) Will try this.

SE said...

pari..very healthy pancakes indeed!!

Priya Suresh said...

Such a healthy pancakes, loved the cheesy stuffing...Splendid idea Pari..COngrats on ur awards!

Pari Vasisht said...

Dear Ushnish,
Great idea of Panch phoron in a pancake, would love to try.

Sushma Mallya said...

Hi pari,congraz on those awards,u truely deserve all that and am sure many more will come ur way in future too...hope u had a wonderful diwali...and pancake looks very healthy as well as yummy and more then that i liked the paneer stuffing in it...great idea..

Anonymous said...

i think this is going to b damn tasty..makes me real hungry

Namitha said...

sounds healthy...congrats on your awards :-)

Sh... said...

Thanks so much for you comments. U have a delicious space..:) and congrats for the awards. Will follow u..:)

Unknown said...

That looks real tasty and healthy. Congrats on your awards and thanks for sharing it with us.

chakhlere said...

very healthy and yummy !!

Raje said...

Wow those Dosas make me drool. Lovely! Contrats on all those awards Dear! Wish you many more!

radha said...

Seems something like rava dosa and the wheat dosa, and healthy too! You seem to be always on the lookout for something healthy while not compromising on taste.

ST said...

Looks very relishing:)

Raks said...

Sounds great! Will give a try :)

chef and her kitchen said...

Such a healthy one dearie...:)
looks perfect..
congrats on the awards,,

Little Inbox said...

What a great idea of you to add some wheat to the pancake. I always love healthy food.

Regards from http://eatingpleasure.blogspot.com.

My Little Space said...

First of all, HAPPY DEEPAVALI TO YOU, Pari! I guess you must be still in the mood...right? The pancake recipe sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

Nandinis food said...

Wow! Innovative recipe! So awesome! palatable!
Congrats on your awards!

Trish said...

How very creative and healthy!

Ash said...

Hey Pari,

Thanks a ton for stopping by my blog & sharing your love.... That introduces me to an another awesome blog of yours, with such a gr8 collection of yum recipes, that I must follow...

And belated congrats on owning a collection of awards too. You deserve it truly....

Do keep in touch....

Love,
Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Vrinda said...

Thanx for visiting my blog Pari..Congrats on ur awards,healthy and yummy pancake...

Padhu Sankar said...

Thanks for your healthy pancake recipe .Will give a try .Do stop by my blog padhuskitchen.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Pan cakes look yummy!!

Anu said...

Thanx for visiting my blog.Healthy and yummy pancakes. Nice idea.. Looks delicious... Congrats on your awards dear...

Parita said...

congratulations on your awards dear and pancakes look fantastic

ST said...

Congrats on ur awards...Thanks a lot for the lovely awards...

Jenn said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Pari!!

I love wheat and oats. I try get get them into my meals at least several times a week. I don't know what I would do without them. hehe...

Sreelekha Sumesh said...

hi Pari..

Thanks for visiting my blog and ur lovely comments:) U have a wonderful blog..following u..

EC said...

A nice way to have oats rather than the usual porridge..thanks for the entry

my kitchen said...

Congrats on ur awards,yummy pancakes

Anonymous said...

Greetings,
I just registered and wanted to pop in and introduce myself to the people. Let me just say that it is a fantastic site that you have here.

Here are some other web sites and blogs that might be of interest to you.

[url=http://skintoday.info]skintoday.info[/url] - skintoday.info
[url=http://skintoday.info]skincareblog.info[/url] - skincareblog.info
[url=http://skintoday.info]skinsmart.info[/url] - skinsmart.info
[url=http://skintoday.info]skincareshop.info[/url] - skincareshop.info

skin care products and tips and tricks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails